Sunday, May 1, 2011

Existentialism

Existentialism   - i find this topic extremely interesting.  it makes me think of life and the meaning of life in a different way.

 

~i always felt that i had a purpose and my reason for living was to find that purpose and live to fulfill that purpose - if that makes any sense~


the movie I watched was: one flew over the cuckoos nest 

 

 

im guessing the movie is an existentialist film because the men find their passion and themselves back when mcmurphy comes into the ward.  they find their meaning/purpose of life, they begin to understand that they are living for a reason - to have fun and get better ... Not to be tortured and demasculated by the nurse. 

             the men find it in themslves to make their life worth something; even if it is as little as speaking up for themselves against the nurse. 






a movie that I watched that wasn't intended for this assignment was
the invention of lying - I watched it last year and when we bought it
up in class I remembered how the guy invented lying (obviously) and he
helped his community .. Although there was chaos he somehow found a way
to succeed in his life and give an incentive for his community to do
better in their lives.
In both movies there were miserable people who found what they wanted - stuck to their guns
and went with it - no matter what the consequences. In both movies people were unhappy and they changed that - they found something worth living for.
I didn't really like either of the movies but I like what they represented.



1 comment:

  1. We watched the same movie and I feel like we got the same interpretation of how it symbolizes existentialism. I agree with you that the movies, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and The Invention of Lying weren't that great but did get the existentialist point acorss.

    ReplyDelete